Sunday, August 8, 2010

#5 Most Hated Team In The NFL: The Chicago Bears


Disclaimer: The following is the first part of a five part series in which I will reveal my 5 most hated National Football League Teams coming into the 2010 season. It changes from year to year as teams get undeserved hype and other things, so here's goes nothing.

One of my greatest moments as a sports fan was going to a Vikings/Packers game with my mom on Christmas Eve in 2004. Yeah, the Vikings lost the game, but there were so many other things going on around the game that made it so much fun.

One of those incidents was with a fan behind us who was dressed in blaze orange. No, he was not wearing the Green Bay Packers alternate jersey, but he was instead wearing a Chicago Bears sweatshirt. Yes, this fan had driven all the way from Chicago to try and pick a fight with either a Vikings or Packers fan. I don't think it mattered who he fought to be honest.

And that's where my argument begins. The Bears fans have to be some of the most blind in sports. I'm pretty sure that they're the second biggest rats in all of sports as a matter of fact, only behind the ones that inhibit Yankee Stadium on a nightly basis.

The typical Bears fan has a sense of entitlement. Hey, the Bears were one of the first franchises in the NFL. That's kind of like being an original six member of the National Hockey League. (Which coincidentally, the Chicago Blackhawks were a part of.) But it's the constant sense of entitlement that drives me up a wall.

The Bears could be 2-10 and the Bears fan would still be optimistic that the season can still be turned around and that a couple bad bounces went their way in a trio of 34-0 losses.

But when they win...OHHH when they win!!! The Bears fan becomes euphoric. Recently, when the Bears have put together winning seasons, it's been because of lucky bounces or freak plays that only happen once every 25 years. But when they win, the Bears fan thinks they're the greatest team ever. Examples?

This team once embraced Cade McNown and Rex Grossman as franchise quarterbacks. And I didn't mention Curtis Enis or David Terrell yet.

And another reason I can't stand them: Brian Urlacher. This may be a simple case of jealousy as the Vikings have never had a linebacker who could simply dominate a game. However, I just can't stand the sight of the man.

Think back to high school. Did you ever take a look at a player and think to yourself "What the hell is he going to do after football?" Well, some of those people make it to the NFL and I think that Mr. Urlacher is in that class. Have you seen his Old Spice commercial.

"I BRIAN URLACHER!!! URLACHER USED TO GET LAUGH AT!!! URLACHER NO LIKE!!! URLACHER WEAR DA SWAGGER!!! SWAGGER GOOD FOR DA URLACHER!!! WHO LAUGH NOW!!! HUH HUH...URLACHER LAUGH NOW!!!"

He also runs around the football with such wreck less abandon as Bobby Boucher in the Waterboy. Just one time after he causes a fumble, I expect him to stand up and start jumping around screaming "I GOT THE FOOTBALL MOMMA!! I GOT THE FOOTBALL!!!"

And my biggest pet peeve is the renovation of Soldier Field. Old Soldier Field looked awesome with the pillars at the top of the stadium, but then came the renovation. Soldier Field now looks like a UFO landed on top of the stadium. Most of the charm has vanished and to me it's just another stadium. It's sad.

Mix in the fact that the Bears have one more Super Bowl win than the Vikings, and you got a cocktail of hatred. It would put a giant smile on my face to see the Bears fall on their face and have the Lions win more games than the Monsters of the Midway. But that's why they play the games folks, and that's why I hate the Chicago Bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment