Friday, October 7, 2011

Sorry, I Gotta Sit This One Out



They say beggars can't be choosers. They haven't met me.

For years I've been praying to God that he would allow a Minnesota team to win a championship. It's now clear to me he has a sense of humor because he sent me...the Lynx.

The Lynx are one win away from the first professional championship in Minnesota since the Twins won the World Series in 1991. They would be the second pro team in Minnesota history to win a championship as well. (Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve incorrectly stated to her team that they would be the third, but the North Stars didn't win the Stanley Cup until moving to Dallas.)

I don't remember the 1991 championship, as I was five years old, but when I had thought of a Minnesota team winning a championship, I thought I would be really excited. For example, the Vikings, who have been the team closest to grabbing the brass ring during my lifetime, winning the Superbowl would have resulted in me balling my eyes out and saying to my wife, "This is the happiest day of my life. That includes our wedding day, and the birth of our son." But, there's just not the same level of excitement there. Well, why is that?

The Lynx have some very good players. Lindsay Whalen is the best product to come from the U of M since Bobby Jackson. Maya Moore is going to be the face of the WNBA over the next decade. They've worked hard for this, but I can't get excited.

This is the WNBA, and it's not a matter of me being sexist. It's me not liking the product. I can stand passing and fundamentals. I love college basketball more than the NBA, but when you compare college basketball and the WNBA, there's just things that are missing such as the crazy crowd atmosphere seen at most of those games and...yeah, I'll go here...dunking. I like dunking in my basketball.

Also consider that the Lynx have only played a little over 30 games to win their championship and the WNBA is like the second season to them compared to the teams that they play for overseas during the winter. A championship here would be like if the Vikings won the Super Bowl in the 8 game season that was proposed in case the NFL lockout got really ugly last offseason.
However, the biggest thing is that I didn't grow up with this team and have never really followed them. If one of the other "Core Four" sports in town won a championship (Vikings, Wild, Timberwolves, Twins), it would be a "I was there for the whole ride!" experience. With the Lynx, I'd feel cheated...bandwagon. I wasn't there at the beginning of the year when expectations were high. I haven't watched a game all year. Why should I get to cheer? The people who have loyally packed...well, filled the lower bowl of the Target Center all season should be rewarded, not the slew of bandwagon fans packing the upper rafters now.

Again, beggars can't be choosers, but I'm letting the people who have endured this team's ups and downs enjoy this championship. They've earned it. And it begs the question, when will I see one of my favorite teams win it all? I don't know, but I'll enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment