Monday, February 14, 2011

The Match of the Decade?


I sat in my living room, disappointed as usual with Monday Night Raw. Throughout the two hour period, I had endured a worthless John Cena promo, more talk about how great The Miz is (although, I've heard he's awesome), a bad Divas match (but what do you expect?), and the Khali kiss cam before the main event of Sheamus vs. Randy Orton.

So, it was easy to believe that the guest host announcement of Wrestlemania XXVII would end in a "REALLY?" kind of way. As a matter of fact, when the limo pulled up and a woman's foot appeared, I groaned (although, I guessed it was Stephanie McMahon, which could have paved the way for a return by Triple H.).

And then it came...the lights proceded to go out throughout the Honda Center in Anaheim until the entire arena went dark and then...

"IF YA SMELLLL...WHAT THE ROCK...IS COOKIN!"

And there he was as the crowd roared in excitement as The People's Champ made his way to the ring. I couldn't help but scream hysterically like i was 14 once again. For the next 20 minutes, I was more entertained by a WWE promo than anything I've heard in the past 3 years. (Probably since the Shawn Michaels/Chris Jericho feud in which he said "I'll retire, but just so you know, you will never be the showstopper!")

If there is one thing to take out of this. The Rock. Still. Has. It.

But that raises a question. Does he have it in the ring? Yeah, I know. The Rock is the guest host of Wrestlemania, but if he came back does this mean that The Rock finally agreed to come back for one more match? And if so, that match will be against John Cena.

Think about this...nine years ago, The Rock went into Toronto to face Hulk Hogan in a "Icon vs. Icon" match. The match wasn't expected to do much, but it tore the house down and it "passed the torch" to The Rock. A Cena/Rock match could have the same effect.

Casual wrestling fans would order Wrestlemania to see The Rock fight one more time. The current crop would love to see John Cena shut this "newcomer" up. (They probably think Kofi Kingston could beat the great one.) It would be great.

The build up would be legendary. You have two of the best wrestlers on the mic ever going head to head in awesome tongue lashing battles. The Rock proved that tonight by calling Michael Cole "a drunk hobbit" and saying "You can't see me? What the hell? Are you playing peek-a-boo or something?"

Personally, this is a dream match. After seeing all the little kids flock to John Cena, I would love to see The Rock...ahem...take his boot, shine it up real nice, turn that sum-bitch sideways and stick it straight up his candy ass! The crowd would be ridiculously into it. I'm sure you've heard the "Let's Go Cena! CENA SUCKS!" chants? Think of them on a 10x greater scale.

The match would be so big, I would actually care who won. Why? Because my hero is better than your hero little kids. Yeah, Cena has had his moments when he was a rapper. Like his diss on Eddie Guerrero. ("Tell your cousin at Taco Bell to quit handing me the mild sauce.") But recently, he's been awful. I've been wanting him to get booed for a long time, and this might just do it.

So let's hope this happens. Let's hope that this doesn't turn into a simple get together in the middle of the ring and "Oh, I'm sorry for what I said out of the ring." Yes, I know it's fake, but as one guy once said. "IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!"

No comments:

Post a Comment