Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pros and Cons


So, in preparation for tonight's NBA Draft, which is getting more exciting by the minute, I thought I would look at a couple players that the Wolves would be interested and do what I don't do when I'm looking at a tough decision. Evaluate the pros and the cons. Before I do that, let's take a look at what we know...

- Wolves still have picks 5, 6, 18, and 28 (not 27 as I said yesterday) in the first round
- They really want the #2 pick, but Memphis really wants Thabeet.
- Wolves GM David Kahn said he will NOT trade 5 and 6 to get 2. This means the Wolves will have 2 picks in the top 6.

Time to spin the wheel...

PG - Ricky Rubio
Pros: Wowed during the 2008 Olympics for Spain...has been a pro since age 14...compared to Pete Maravich with his passing skills and creativity.
Cons: Already hates Minnesota...Unknown player from Spain...has 6 million dollar buyout clause from Spanish team.

Here's one of my problems with the NBA Draft.  These Spanish players and their buyout clauses. I believe that if a Spanish player wants in the NBA draft, there should be no strings attached to it. You're in and you're playing the next year. Should the Wolves draft Rubio, I don't think the buyout is the problem, but some teams will draft a player, wait two years for him to get better, and then buy him out when he probably could go in the top 10 and help a team that really needs it. Anyways, if the Wolves draft Rubio at 2, I'll be very dissapointed. We really need to rebuild our backcourt, but we also really need a shot blocking big man. Rubio isn't exactly a sure thing, and I've heard a couple Jason Williams (Florida PG) comparisons which wouldn't be bad, but it's not worth it in a draft that is really deep with guards.

C - Hasheem Thabeet
Pros: Natural shot blocker...played in tight games with UConn during collegiate career...huge upside.
Cons: Limited offensive game...may be a project...is he worth Kevin Love?

This is an interesting one too. If you move up to 2, take Thabeet. I know that next years draft is full of big men such as Cole Aldrich and B.J. Mullens, but Thabeet is the shot blocker we need. If you didn't read my post yesterday, I think Thabeet is the missing piece in our front court.

SG - Tyreke Evans
Pros: A leader (Memphis won 27 straight after converting him to PG)...played out of position in college...very confident...great slasher
Cons: Hasn't really shown what position he'll play in the NBA...more of a combo guard

I'm starting to get really high on Evans. Evans could wind up a star in the NBA and the more I watch him, the more I fall in love. Evans could be the perfect guy to replace Foye and I really hope we get him.

SG - James Harden
Pros: Little more polished than the one and done players...solid jump shot...COMPARED TO BRANDON ROY
Cons: Body type is a little pudgy...struggled vs. zone defense in NCAA tournament...not as athletic you would like.

I've had a love/hate relationship with Harden. But I wouldn't mind him falling to 5.

PG - Stephen Curry
Pros: Great shooter...Led Davidson to Elite 8 two years ago...team player.
Cons: Hasn't shown PG instincts yet...really small...similar to J.J. Reddick

J.J. hasn't had a good NBA career...I just don't think Curry will get his shot off. And when you're compared to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, it's just not a good sign.

PG - Jonny Flynn
Pros: Clutch...very athletic...quick
Cons: Size...could be a project...needs to work on defense

Wouldn't mind this pick. Better than Steph Curry. NBAdraftnet.com compared him to Damon Stoudamire, I see more of a Rajon Rondo.

So currently, this is what NBAdraft.net has for our Wolves...
5th pick: Tyreke Evans, SG, Memphis
6th pick: Stephen Curry, PG, Davidson
18th pick: Chase Budinger, SF, Arizona
28th pick: Jonas Jerbeko, SF, Sweeden (everywhere I look has us taking him if we keep this pick.

And to really get you excited for today's draft...let's look at the past five years of Wolves first round picks...grab you barf bags...

2008 - O.J. Mayo, SG, USC (3rd Overall; traded for Kevin Love)
2007 - Corey Brewer, SF, Florida (7th Overall)
2006 - Brandon Roy, SG, Washington (6th overall; traded for Randy Foye @#$%!)
2005 - Rashad McCants, SG, North Carolina (14th Overall)
2003 - Ndudi Ebi, SF, Westbury Christian HS, (26th Overall)

We're really going to @#$% this up huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment