Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fantasy Baseball Has Taken Over My Life


I have a story to tell you.  I was at a local bar yesterday where no college student should dare venture unless you're pretty and a woman. I wanted to go talk to a friend of mine who of course was pretty and a woman (if she's reading this...you're welcome).  I walked up to her and we had a conversation with her and her friend. Her friend mentioned her future husband, Justin Morneau and I went off...

"Dude! I love Morneau! I took him with the third pick in my fantasy league and everyone was laughing because they thought I was being a homer. Hah, idiots!"

Both the girl and her friend looked at me funny. As a matter of fact, I think the rest of the bar stared at me like I just slammed Garth Brooks.  I put my head down and apologized and was forgiven, but this is the stem of my problem. Fantasy baseball has taken over my life.

When I am under the influence of alcohol, it's the only thing I talk about. I want to brag about how I snagged Yovanni Gallardo in the 7th round of our draft, or how much Brad Lidge sucks. This is a problem, but why am I so obsessed right now when I knew that people who checked this were....how do I say this? Losers?

There are many reasons, mainly because I'm bored 90% of the time and have nothing else to do over the summer. But, the number one reason is...I'm actually good at this!!! Unlike fantasy football where last year I got the number one pick and still fucked up (Tory Holt, LaDanian Tomlinson, and Ryan Grant can just go to hell), it doesn't matter where I pick here or how bad my draft is because I watch Sportscenter every day trying to catch a wave. In fantasy football, you don't have too many games to catch a wave, but baseball is an everyday thing.

In closing to my rant, I remember a conversation with a guy who convinced me to join this league when I first started this last year.

Guy: Yeah, last year was sweet, I snagged Ryan Braun and Manny Corpas off the waiver wire.
Crishad: Manny Corpas?
Guy: Yeah, he closed for the Rockies.
Crishad: No idea who he is.
Guy: How the f*** do you not know who Manny Corpas is?
Crishad [thinking]: Never be this guy.

Well, we all make mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment